This variation of the classic wooly bugger is extremely versatile which is why you'll find it in the box of every guide on the river.
Fish will take this fly as a leech, stonefly, baitfish, and plenty more. You can dead drift this fly, swing it, or even strip it to get the attention of steelhead.
- Hook: TMC 5262 (4-8)
- Thread: Veevus 6/0 (Black)
- Tail: Marabou (Black)
- Flash: Krystal Flash (Pearl/Black)
- Body: Peacock Herl
- Hackle: Brown or Furnace Saddles
- Wire: Ultra Wire Brassie (Copper)
- Adhesive: Loon UV Flow
- Vise: Renzetti Traveler
- Bobbin: Griffin Magnum
- Scissors: Loon All Purpose
- Whip Finisher: Loon Ergo
- Brush: Hareline Ultimate Dubbing Brush
- Light: Loon Infinity
Largely attributed to Manistee River guide Ray Schmidt, this variation of the versatile woolly bugger uses a mix of material colors that combine to create a natural mottled look. Don't be afraid to experiment with other color combinations. We also fish variations of this fly with purple, olive, and tan.