We welcomed to the bench our friend Tommy Greene to tie a big tube fly for pike and we ended up talking for over two hours. Tommy has been chasing large pike in Northern Michigan and Canada for years. He's adapted fishing and tying techniques from all over and added his own flair to create beautiful and effective flies to tempt these toothy critters.
In two hours we covered a lot of ground. Tommy talked about using the Bauer Pike Rig and the versatility tubes provide over patterns traditionally tied on hooks. We also laughed about watching hours of Fly vs. Jerk on YouTube during the winter months.
- Bucktail 2 colors that contrast but work well together
- Large Krystal Hackle (blue)
- Big Fish Eyes (1/2" Super Pearl)
- Big Fly 400 Den. Thread (White) or Veevus GSP
- 1/4” clear tubing from Ace
- Flashabou (Opal Mirage)
- Flashabou Magnum (Mirage)
- Flashabou Magnum (Silver)
- Flashabou Magnum (UV) - optional
- Holo Flashabou (Blue)
- Salt Water Flashabou Extra Wide (Silver)
- Lateral Scale (Mirage)
- 2 part epoxy (5 min cure)
If you want to learn more about fly fishing for pike, check out this video we put together a while back about gearing up!