If you have not yet tried jig hooks, you might want to this winter. Now that most hook companies have started offering them in more than one or two styles you can easily find a hook to meet your needs. What's even better is the availability of slotted tungsten beads in wild and crazy colors as you will see later on this winter.
Today, we're going to dip our toes in with a variation of a classic fly and one that I think unfortunately gets overshadowed by the Pheasant Tail too often. The Hare's Ear is such a simple fly to tie that many tyers assume it will not catch as many fish. Well, let me tell you that simple is often better! You may have heard me harp on this at the shop already but it's true! This is the "Guide's Choice" variation that has been around for several years featuring a soft hackle wrap and hot spot up at the bead. We're tying it on a jig hook for a few reasons.. First of all, I want you all to see the process of tying on jig hooks which is not all that different especially if you own a rotary vise. Secondly, Euro Nymphing is gaining tons of traction in the Midwest currently so I wanted to showcase a fly you can go out your first few times experimenting and have some confidence in. If you're going to be fishing in a river with some wood, you're going to like having a few jig style flies in your arsenal for point flies.
- Hook: Umpqua U555 or Tiemco 400 Series Jig
- As I mentioned in the video, the U-Series hooks are not as nice as the Tiemco though wonderful if you want to fill up a box and not be afraid to lose some flies in the wood.
- Bead: Gold Tungsten Slotted
- Pay attention to how your bead is seated up at the eye... there is a correct and incorrect way to do this.
- Lead Wire: I use .015 in the video to add some extra weight but mostly to keep the slotted tungsten bead in place.
- Thread: UNI 6/0 Red
- Play with thread colors and hot spot colors!
- Tail: Hare's Mask
- Dubbing: Hare's Ear Plus from Hareline
- Rib: UTC Ultra Wire in Gold
- Thorax: Peacock Ice Dub
- Hackle: Hungarian Partridge
- Hot Spot: Red 6/0 Thread